Savory, messy, and secretly healthy. Don’t tell the kids.
- Cook the ground bison, chopped onions and minced garlic in a large frying pan over medium heat until the meat is browned.
- Drain meat, onion, garlic mixture (bison is very lean, so this step may not be necessary)
- Stir tomato sauce, ketchup, parmesan cheese, fennel and oregano into the meat mixture and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the meat is simmering, split six rolls or buns and spread the cut edges of the rolls/buns with a garlic-butter spread (3 tbsps softened butter and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder).
- Spread the meat mixture on the bottom half of each bun.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tbsps shredded mozzarella cheese over the bison and replace the top half of the bun on each sandwich. Wrap each sandwich in foil and bake the sandwiches for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.